Live on Zoom July 8 – 10, 2024
AVAILABLE ON DEMAND ALL SUMMER!
12 Workshops & Master Classes
Panels with Broadway’s Finest Artists
Resource Materials & Classroom Guides
Earn 20 Hours of Certified Professional Development
3 Graduate Level Credits (optional)
The Broadway Teachers Workshop Online includes 12 Information-packed workshop sessions to bring best practices from Broadway to your school or local theatre program, 2 curated networking sessions tailored to your interests, resources and take-ways for every session, a dedicated online networking portal, certification for 20 hours of Professional Development and the option to earn 3 Graduate Level Credits through UNLV. All workshop videos, reference materials & resources are available to all participants on demand through August 31, 2024.
The Broadway Teachers Workshop Online was born out of necessity in 2020 and opened up the renowned program to participants all over the world, with a full slate of interactive online workshops, master classes and panels with Broadway’s finest artists and your peers across the globe. We’ve since discovered a whole new audience who (Covid aside) were interested in the program but unable logistically to get to NYC each summer, so we’ve decided to continue the online option along with our in-person event.
The Broadway Teachers Workshop in New York City, now in its 23rd season, is an annual conference designed to inspire teachers and directors of middle school, high school, college and community theatres with new teaching methods, enhanced production skills and an exchange of ideas with peers and professional Broadway artists. While the New York-based conference offers in-person experience and tickets to four shows, the Online Conference offers hours of best practices from Broadway, sparkly guests, peer networking and invaluable resources, accessible from your home or school all summer long.
The 2024 Workshops
Our workshops offer a unique blend of inspiration, creative replenishment, and methodology/best practices from Broadway – applied to your program for enhanced classroom learning. The 2024 Workshop lineup includes*:
- Directing: Scene Breakdown and Blocking: This session will focus on a scene from a classic play, breaking it down into beats, assigning playable actions, and blocking.
- Playwriting Through Improvisation: This session explores how to spark students’ imaginations to create theatre, using techniques of text creation through improvisation. We will also discuss how to place our work in artistic and historical context.
- Musical Theatre — Story Through Song: Led by a distinguished Broadway performer and music director, we will explore methods for coaching students on their musical performance, focusing on storytelling, specificity, and personalization.
- Personal Wellness: Creativity and Managing Anxiety: The Broadway Teachers Workshop is YOUR TIME to refresh, renew and reinvigorate your love for theatre and sense of personal well-being. This class is designed to fill your cup creatively, spiritually and physically. It will also give you exercises to bring back to your students.
- Scenic Design — Painting Fundamentals: This session explores varying types of paints, dyes, and texturing techniques used in scenic painting.
- Costume Design Fundamentals: This session offers an overview costume design for character, context and aesthetic, from reading script, collaborating with the director, sketches and look boards, to techniques used to realize the costume design including dyeing, pattern drafting, texture, and fashion history.
- Prop Design: Working with a Broadway prop designer, discover fun and inventive (and afforable) methods for creating vivid and theatricals props for your shows!
- Stage Management: Tech Week: Turn the busiest most stressful week of production into a your favorite part of rehearsals with strategic scheduling and methods for managing cast, crew and faculty to get the best collaborative results on stage and off.
- History of Broadway and The American Musical: This session traces the development of the American Musical Theatre from 19th century popular entertainments to a unique institution in its own right. The changing shape of the musical will be explored in context of a growing and developing American culture, popular taste, and expression of personal and cultural identity.
- Site-specific Performance: Have you ever thought about doing …Spelling Bee in a cafeteria, Pump Boys and Dinettes at a gas station, Twelve Angry Jurors in a courtroom? This workshop will arm you with a format for producing and directing a site-specific performance.
- Networking and Peer Sessions: We’ll provide discussion groups,matchmaking, and connectivity throughout the conference.
- MTI Session: Music Theatre International will take this opportunity to discuss new repertoire, technology, and how to be a part of the MTI family.
*subject to change.
The 2024 BTW ONLINE will be hosted via Zoom. Participants have access to curated matchmaking & networking – and the ability to personally interact with teaching artists, Broadway guests and each other!
The 2024 Broadway Teachers Workshop ONLINE tuition is $299*, including all Workshops, Master Classes, Broadway Legends Fireside Chats, Networking events and exclusive access to Resource and Reference Materials for classroom use. All recordings and resources will remain available to participants through August 31, 2024. (*Discounts available for groups of 10 or more from the same institution.)
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT HOURS
Participants in the Broadway Teachers Workshop receive a certificate verifying 20 hours of professional development training.