Live on Zoom July 5 – 7, 2023
AVAILABLE ON DEMAND ALL SUMMER!
15 Workshops & Master Classes
Panels with Broadway’s Finest Artists
Resource Materials & Classroom Guides
Earn 20 Hours of Certified Professional Development
3 Graduate Level Credits (optional)
The Broadway Teachers Workshop Online includes 15 Information-packed workshop sessions to bring best practices from Broadway to your school or local theatre program, 2 curated networking sessions tailored to your interests, resources and take-ways for every session, a dedicated online networking portal, certification for 20 hours of Professional Development and the option to earn 3 Graduate Level Credits through UNLV. All workshop videos, reference materials & resources are available to all participants on demand through August 31, 2023.
The Broadway Teachers Workshop Online was born out of necessity in 2020 and opened up the renowned program to participants all over the world, with a full slate of interactive online workshops, master classes and panels with Broadway’s finest artists and your peers across the globe. We’ve since discovered a whole new audience who (Covid aside) were interested in the program but unable logistically to get to NYC each summer, so we’ve decided to continue the online option along with our in-person event.
The Broadway Teachers Workshop in New York City, now in its 23rd season, is an annual conference designed to inspire teachers and directors of middle school, high school, college and community theatres with new teaching methods, enhanced production skills and an exchange of ideas with peers and professional Broadway artists. While the New York-based conference offers in-person experience and tickets to four shows, the Online Conference offers hours of best practices from Broadway, sparkly guests, peer networking and invaluable resources, accessible from your home or school all summer long.
Our workshops offer a unique blend of inspiration, creative replenishment, and methodology/best practices from Broadway – applied to your program for enhanced classroom learning. The 2023 Workshop lineup includes*:
- Directing Plays: Scene Study: With actors from Broadway’s HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD
- Directing Musicals: Musical Theatre Scene Study: With actors from Broadway’s SOME LIKE IT HOT
- Adapting Novels & Stories for the Stage: How to generate scenes and long form work from unconventional sources, translating excerpts of novels, video clips and sound effects into performance.
- Site Specific Performance: Consider producing and directing your production in a space outside the theatre. Ever think about doing “Spelling Bee” in a cafeteria, “Pump Boys and Dinettes” at a Gas Station, “Twelve Angry Jurors” in a courtroom? This workshop will arm you with a format for producing and directing a site specific performace.
- Scenic Design: Transforming Space over Time with Beowulf Boritt, Tony Award winning Broadway scenic designer.
- Developing New Audiences: In this guided peer session, we will explore various initiatives in professional theatre and how teachers can implement some of these programs at their school, such as Autism Friendly performances, community outreach, etc.
- Musical Theatre: Story through Song: Led by a distinguished Broadway performer and music director, we will explore methods for coaching students on their musical performance, focusing on story telling, specificity and personalization.
- Projections: Power and Possibility on a Budget: Explore the enormous scope of projections and how they can transform your production, without breaking the bank.
- Transitions and Scenic Design: We all know that transitions can make or break a show. This workshop will explore how to set yourself up for success by planning a scenic design that allows for cinematic, smooth, fast theatrical transitions.
- Conscious Casting: In this guided peer session, we will explore the challenges, possibilities and potential for casting traditional shows with contemporary students across all ideologies, ethnicities, identities, and abilities.
- Lighting Design: Building your kit and making the most of what you have
- Reimagining the Classics: A brand new workshop focused on taking a new look at beloved shows, inviting students and audiences to redefine the ideas at the heart of a classic show.
- Creativity In Theatre and Beyond: BTW favorite and Broadway producer Eric Cornell returns with a workshop inspired by his Harvard MBA professor – about how creativity is useful and necessary not only in the arts but in all professional endeavors. This workshop will arm you with substantive data to help bolster support for your program from administrators and community resources.
- Meet The Artist: Up close and personal with an accomplished Broadway artist, who answers all your questions.
- Networking and Peer Sessions: Discussion groups, Matchmaking, and Connectivity throughout the conference.
- MTI Session: Repertoire, New Technology and Being part of the MTI family.
The 2023 BTW ONLINE will be hosted via Zoom. Participants have access to curated matchmaking & networking – and the ability to personally interact with teaching artists, Broadway guests and each other!
The 2023 Broadway Teachers Workshop ONLINE tuition is $299, including all Workshops, Master Classes, Broadway Legends Fireside Chats, Networking events and exclusive access to Resource and Reference Materials for classroom use. All recordings and resources will remain available to participants through August 31, 2022.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT HOURS
Participants in the Broadway Teachers Workshop receive a certificate verifying 20 hours of professional development training.